myscottishdivorceI have been asked this many times and it is a fraught question.

Where a relationship has broken down there is usually a ghastly atmosphere and a tendency, particularly amongst men, to beat a hasty retreat.

Generally, I do not advise it.

Both parties need to get good, robust legal advice and put in place a separation agreement based on that advice before either makes themselves vulnerable by changing the status quo.

For instance, who is paying the mortgage? Someone could become very comfortable living in a house they are not paying for and be reluctant to enter into any agreement that might affect that!

They are many pitfalls so don’t make a move without advice!

Bruce de Wert


I offer a quickie, fixed price and private divorce for those with children under 16 at

The writing of a blog does not imply a Solicitor/client relationship.